Removing “Synchronisation of shared folders” from the explorer folder context menu

Recently, knipsel1when right-clicking a folder in explorer (windows 7, office 2010), I noticed a new item “Shared folder synchronization” with a sharepoint icon in front of it. It probably started when modifying my office installation to include OneNote, which I left out during original install. It is a part of something called “sharepoint workspace”. It appears (couldn’t get a definitive answer on that one) that OneNote uses parts of that component for it’s workbook synchronization features, so I don’t want to remove the entire feature via the office setup. However, I don’t use the shared folders and would like it removed from my context menu (which is already cluttered up enough with items I *do* use đŸ˜‰ ).

Lees meer over dit bericht

Bad Delphi upgrade experience (that was partly my own fault)

Latest update (11:45): I finally managed to install Update 1. Though I still think the update experience is not as smooth as it could be (most of the points I mention below are still valid), and the error message I was getting was in no way related to what was actually wrong, the original fault was probably my own. I already mentioned that I moved the installation folder over to another drive using a junction point to reference it from its original location. Well, the moved folder was missing one quite important file (setup.exe). I must have missed it when moving the folder, I cannot think of another explanation. After copying it from the original XE7 ISO, and a reboot after the (now successful) uninstallation, XE7 Update 1 is currently installing in the background. Lees meer over dit bericht

Solved occasional VPN RAS error 812

I had the exact problem Roger describes: occasionally a disconnect of my VPN and then unable to reconnect, with error message 812: The connection was prevented because of a policy configured on your RAS/VPN server. Specifically, the authentication method used by the server to verify your username and password may not match the authentication method configured in your connection profile. Please contact the Administrator of the RAS server and notify them of this error.

His consideration was the same as mine, it could not be configuration or else it would have consistently worked or not. Roger traced it to a DNS issue:

Eventually I was able to isolate the issue to a periodic problem with the RRAS server not being able to connect to the Active Directory server for account authentication.  One of the reason codes occasionally generated in the security event log was:

The Network Policy Server was unable to connect to a domain controller in the domain where the account is located. Because of this, authentication and authorization for the RADIUS request could not be performed.

The cause of the problem ended up being very simple:  The primary DNS of the RRAS server was no longer pointing at the domain controller.  Changing the primary DNS to the domain controller and setting the secondary DNS to an external server (the primary google 8.8.8.8 DNS in this case) eliminated the issue.

Thanks to Roger for taking the time to post that, it probably saved me a couple of afternoons debugging this…